Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Home-made Rootbeer

I tasted my first home-brewed root beer this afternoon and it was GOOD. Sunday afternoon The Wife and I turned our kitchen into a brewery and cranked out a gallon of root beer and a gallon of cherry soda. They have been in the basement fermenting since then and I pulled one of each tonight for dinner to check how things were coming along. The cherry is still flat and tastes like NyQuil. It even has a gross menthol taste. I don't know where all that came from but- oh well. The root beer is awesome. It has a thick foamy head and its not too sweet and soooo good. It's so good I don't believe we actually made it ourselves. We are keeping it in the basement for one more night and then moving them all in the fridge after that. The cold is supposed to slow down the fermentation so the glass bottles don't all explode. The cherry stays for another 48 hours I guess. Hopefully it will improve with age. If not can give them to friends we don't really like as gifts. Either way, we had a lot of fun making them, and will do it again soon. It's easy and kids could even do it. We spent about thirty bucks on bottles, a capper, caps, and a bottle brush. We spent another fifteen on three different flavor extracts-Root beer, cherry, and cream soda. Each little bottle is good for 4 gallons. And the champagne yeast we used is less than fifty cents a packet. We got our ingredients and instructions form this website.

3 comments:

Jenny said...

Dave, that sounds cool!

Anonymous said...

I really like your picture with the flag. It makes me cry. In a good way!

coolmom

Nemesis said...

Dude. Way to tell me you had started blogging again . . .