Monday, March 29, 2010

Communication Breakdown

I bought a cell phone from an Iranian company here called ROSHAN and I'm pretty sure that means I am funding terrorism. They are cheap little phones and I bought a sim card and a 50 dollar pay-as-you-go calling card. I was told I could call home for about 25 cents a minute. Not too shabby. I called Valli and had a great conversation with almost no delay. But after ten minutes I had burned through my 50 bucks.

Hmm.

Maybe it's a little more than 25 cent a minute. But i found out that incoming calls are free. Valli bought an ATT intl. card that she discovered had an only slightly better rate of 2.50 a minute.

Getting closer.

Valli gets online and finds a company thats sells minutes at about 15-25 cent a minute. Perfect. She can use it to call me during her free times and it only costs us and time for the card. So we do that and the conversation goes something like this.

v: Hi!

d: What?

v: Hi, it's Valli.

d: Hello?

v: HI!

d: Hi.

v: What?

d: HI BACK!

v: oh. I got a calling card.

d: What?

v: Nevermind.

d: What?

v: What?

d: I CANT HEAR YOU!

v: WHAT? I CANT HEAR YOU!

~call dropped~

So we are still working on the whole cell phone thing. I suspect it might soon get scrapped as a failed experiment. But by golly, Harrells don't quit. Until we have wasted a pantload of time and money trying it out, anyway.

BUT I did get a personal dial-up subscription today for only 100 bucks a month. That ought to buy the Taliban a RPG or three. Thanks Iran. And Russia. And China. And Pakistan. And Columbia. Thanks for helping me keep the fight for Afghanistan going. And if I left any other countries out I'm sorry.

But if it means I can Skype its totally worth it. Right? And it means I can do my homework from my room. I just finished my first assignment, a Memo of Introduction for my business writing class. I also wrote this blog. So. Ya. Totally worth it.

5 comments:

Mikey said...

That fascinating a tale as this is, I wonder how many buzz phrases you hit in it. Which watchlist do you think you're on now (and probably me too by association)?

Jenny said...

I hope you get skype working soon. When I told the kids you were back in Afghanistan they wanted to know when they could skype you and see all your weapons again.

Dave said...

Coolboy- blogging is all about getting followers.

Jenny- this year i have even more.

Laci J said...

Hey I wanna be on the watchlist, with my hubby's occupation we should really hit the jackpot. Cool story though, Valli says you told it right on... maybe its because she was at my house. Oh and my new baby is super cute and looks a lot like you. I will officially claim her as my own by the end of the trip.

Brady said...

you should see if a straight trade of guns and ammo would get you a good phone