Saturday, November 8, 2008

Marked for Death

Isn't he cute? Sadly he is also condemned. Valli and I bought half of this pretty Angus steer (that's what we were told, anyway) for the freezer. I shall call him Buttercup. And when it's my turn to cook I will say: Honey, would you like, chicken, rabbit-food, or a juicy hunk of Buttercup? Or something.

Buttercup is currently enjoying the last few days of his short but happy life. He has been raised on a rotating pasture of all natural grasses and legumes with a few of his pals. They all wake up early and frolic and play until dark. He grew up on a little farm a few miles from Clarksville with dogs and miniature dairy goats. Buttercup has had a great life. And in about two weeks that life will be over. He will be divided into about 150 all-natural, growth-hormone, antibiotic-free pieces and stacked neatly in our freezer. I'm so excited! We are supporting our local little-guy economy, getting six to eight months of cheap, ultra-healthy, all natural, lean, tender beef. And let us not forget- sticking it to the polluting, greedy, degenerate gorcery superpowers!
Oh Buttercup, I could just eat you up!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awwwwwww! How cute. I applaud you stickin it to the...what did you call them...polluting grocers? Amen. What a sweet little face he/she has.

Dave said...

Yes! Isn't he adorable? With that hair he kind of reminds me of Ed.

Nemesis said...

That is so cool. Also? I think your hair looks awesome long. Girls will probably start calling you "Edward" from Twilight and attacking you.

the firths said...

are you sure you don't want to be more specific about which half you get to keep?

the firths said...

i thought this was great- the little mystery word I had to duplicate to post my last comment was "kilit".

pretty fitting.

Dave said...

Nem: No bloodsucking Twilight groupies for me. But maybe babybird should take notes.

Firth: I think I get the left half. Possibly. And yes, that is weirdly appropriate.

POPS said...

ok I am to blame for the steers name. When Valli was a wee child, we had two pigs. One was pork chop and one was ham bone. Long story short ham bone was a olymipic pig high jumper. and saddly most likely ended up bear poop. But pork chop was ( well he lived up to his name.) And as for the 50 plus chickens we would put in the feezer. Lets say Valli was not bashfull. And the hair??? the jury is stil out love POPS

Valli said...

Not bashful heh?
I was like six years old! That chiken running around without a head was pretty dang cool at six years old. It's not like I ate it's beating heart or anything.