Sunday, November 9, 2008

The Fro, Yo.

When I was on leave this summer I let my hair grow out a bit. I liked it and my wife really liked it. She had never seen me with hair that long before. No one has in about four years. So I decided to keep it going when I got back to Afghanistan. I get it cut on the sides as per Army regs and let it get longer and longer on the top top. First I brushed it forward, then it got too long for that so I parted it on the saide. Now it's too long for that so I comb it backwards. I get some odd looks from people around here because of it. Most guys keep it somewhere between bald and about a half inch. I've also got some nicknames from it- Swoopy, Fonzy, Hippie, Shaggy, Zuko and Travolta.

The other day a co-worker told me I was breaking the "hair rules" of the US Army. We looked them up in Army Regulation 670-1. Interestingly, it says that the way leadership is to judge different hair styles is whether it interferes with the wearing of helmets, hats, and gas-masks. Weird. Also we found out that "all hair styled must conform to the shape of the head." So everyone with a flat-top in the Army is actually wrong. Weird. And Stupid. Who cares anyway?

So should I put my hair up....

....Or down?
Neat and tidy. Very Armyish right?

5 comments:

Ken and Katie said...

Hey Dave & Valli!!! i just get a kick out of reading your blogs! I love it- and I am so glad that Valli posted some of the remodeling that is going on! i cant wait to see it in Jan. Oh how a puppy is going to change your life! The Hair conversation is good- Ken falls into that 1/2 inch group. you should convince him to grow his out too!! When we are all back in TN we will have to come over and have you cook us up some of that ultra healthy beef! i hope you have a big freezer! Can't wait to have all you guys home!

Anonymous said...

Dave, I think you better cut it before you get into trouble.

Anonymous said...

I see you are still determined to be most senior E-4 in the U.S. Army.

the firths said...

look, it's buttercup dave.

I like the straight up look

Anonymous said...

I do like Buttercups little bangs. They are so cute.