Monday, February 4, 2008

Scrounge

Scrounging is a big part of deployed life. Especially the first month. Thankfully, there are stores here where I could buy the things I want to make life more comfortable. But- lots of people have already bought all those things, and now they are leaving. So, this is where the scrounging come is. Another term we like to use is- tactical aquisition. If you want to be successful at this there are some things you got to do. Most important is just be alert. Keep track of how is leaving and when, then once they go- be first and be fast. Everyone plays, everyone wins. This is a list of some of the things I have snatched up since getting here.


  • lava lamp

  • blender

  • 2 years worth of truck and fitness magazines

  • a dozen or so very good novels

  • small refrigerator

  • dresser

  • shelves

  • desk lamp

  • 21 inch color tv

  • 2 boxes of handi-snaks

  • about ten bucks in change and pogs

  • textbooks on criminal justice (which is my current major)

  • coathangers

  • air freshener

  • a couple hundred square feet to build a rock gym with- more on that later

and other junk i can't remember.


I figure it works out to about a thousand bucks of home furnishing, food, and entertainment. Every day I find some other little abandoned treasure to add to the pile of stuff. And it's something to do.

That's the real quest here at the moment- finding something to do. Because I wasn't able to switch companies untill I actually got here, I am not qualified to actually do my job. There are 5 of us fligth medics all the the same situation. And since I am one of the lowest ranking and least experience of the red-headed stepchildren- I have to wait my turn. That makes me the guy who gets all the crappy details and odd jobs until my time comes. Tedius junk like sitting at the gym sign-in desk for a twelve hour stretch to make sure that the water cooler is stacked and that people aren't coming in without towels. I think that gig will be a weekly thing. Punishment for procrastinating getting promoted before the deployment arrived. That's the worst example- but there will be more. I'll be in this holding pattern for a few more weeks at least.

Before I signed off I wanted to bring up one more thing. I realize that I keep changing the subject and that I should make all these seperate posts, but I don't get to the computer too often. But this is really cool...

I got a calling!! Yup. Brother Dave- I got one that I always never wanted and was sure I would NEVER get. Does everybody out there like apples? How do ya like THESE apples? I'm the ward choruster!! HA! I get to gear up the cd player and swat the flies. I am also the substitute second block instructor. We alternate between the Book of Mormon lesson and the Teachings of the Prophet manual. There is no third hour. It couldn't have come at a better time either, because the other teacher has left for the month.

I can handle that stuff. So, like- yay for me!


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Dave, I feel so bad that I hadn't read your blog before you called. You said some pretty funny things. I think my brother tries to keep up with these things every now and then. It was great to chat with you. I feel so special. Now with Mike finally coming home we can afford to transfer his package $$ to you!! It cost a fortune just to mail his. I made the mistake of taking your dad to the PO once, I thought he was going to pass out at the postage. Oh well, hang in there, things will get better and more interesting as time goes on. Love you!!!

Jenny said...

Dave, love the posts. Mike and I want you guys to say who's posting though. We are just slow like that.

Bryan & Bobbie said...

It's great to hear about all the cool stuff you acquire. It sounds like you have a job similar to mine last time. Maybe you could bring in your blender and sell smoothies to all the Gym goers. Just a thought.