Tuesday, April 14, 2009

I feel like turkey tonight!

I missed the fall turkey hunt this winter by 2 days. I really wanted to try to shoot something when I got home. Not the “post traumatic stress disorder want to shoot something”, just the normal want to shoot something that I’ve had since I was 5. So a week ago I asked a friend with a really big yard if I could try to take a turkey. He said that was great but only if I shot some of his horses while I was at it. Sadly we just didn’t have the freezer space. Maybe next year though.

I’ve never been hunting before. Everything I know about hunting I learned from the advertisements in Field and Stream magazines. I didn’t have very high expectations, but by golly that wasn’t going to stop me from trying. Long story short: I didn’t get one. After 6 hours and being chased out of my first hide by dogs I sat up to leave. That was when I discovered that I had unknowingly called in a hen. She was standing just outside my field of vision about 20 feet away watching me. When I sat up she started moving off and then I missed my shot. Oh well. At least I knew I was doing some things right. The next day I went back and found a spot where I could see more. After 2 hours I called in another hen and nailed her. It would have been cool to hold out for a big old tom but I was excited and didn’t really care what I brought home, so long as I wasn’t empty-handed. So here is my turkey.


Something else I learned. Plucking and cleaning a turkey sucks and smells tremendously bad. I brought it home pre-cleaned because I wanted a picture. Next time I’ll make sure I bring the camera and leave all the guts out in the woods. Anyway- Yay for me and being a mighty hunter.

7 comments:

Jenny said...

Go you. The kids just looked over ever single one of your blog posts and Ethan would like you to post more pictures and video of Sully and your bike. He was quite impressed with the noise level on the motorcycle.

cooldad said...

WhoAh!

Unknown said...

Dave, you are so the man! You have skills!

Spitfire said...

I wish I could have been a fly on the wall during this whole ordeal. Imagining you doing all this stuff makes me laugh! Not because I don't expect it, just because it's sooo "you" and now you're finally having your chance to do all the things you've always wanted to do without having to be so sneeky! Isn't being an adult great? Nice turkey.

the firths said...

Does Sully have any hunting in his near future? Sweet bird.

Bryan & Bobbie said...

Nice kill! Be careful, it's addicting. You have probably realized that after your first day. Being out with a gun with just the prospect of killing something really gets your adrenaline going.

Christine said...

Hey, I hope your turkey hunting skills are better than your bowling skills.