Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Now Broadcasting From...

Beautiful, sunny Bagram Air Field!
Or BAF, as it is commonly known as. I like the sound of that- like a punch in the face from Bat-Man. "BAF! SOC! POW!"

Anyway.
I've been here for a few days and am getting to know my way around. There is only one road here named Disney Ave that makes a circle around the airfield. We got DQ, Pizza Hut, Burger King and a Columbia outlet. No joke. And there is a few little junk stores that we ignorant westerners call hadji-shops, where I bought a $20 broken watch the other day.

I'm living in a very nice hangar with a very colorful history. I think it was built by the Russians, because I doubt the Afghans had the money. But at some point the Taliban invaded the base, lined up all the enlisted dudes in the street and mass executed them all, then hung the officers from the rafters of our hangar and set them on fire. Scorch marks on the ceiling repudiate this. Supposedly there are even some photos lurking around here somewhere but I haven't seen them yet.

The place is probably haunted.

But I love it. We have so many nice things that most army guys here don't. Like on-site phones, hot showers, flushing toilets, individual rooms, gym, and soon we will even have a rock climbing wall. Its way better accommodations than my trip to Iraq. I am so thankful to not be living in a ditch or a cave or in the back of a tank like my fore-fathers.

7 comments:

Nemesis said...

Hello my brother! I can't wait to hear your stories, even though the bit about the Taliban nearly made me lose my lunch. When was this, exactly??

Bryan & Bobbie said...

Hey dude it's good to here you're doing ok. it does sound a little better than speicher. Keep us updated. -B&B

Jenny said...

Dude. I am so glad you're not living out of the back of a tank also. I hope everything continues to go well!

Anonymous said...

Go Air Force! You can thank them for your upgraded accomodations.

Unknown said...

The part about killing and burning kind of upset me. But at least it's not you involved in that sort of thing. I'm glad things look better. Hot water is my favoirte thing on earth!

Dave said...

I think the take-over occured in the lateish 80's. Not sure. Cool-dad, you are right about the accomodations. I should have aimed high.

Unknown said...

Maybe when this is over you can switch. Now that the Army has spent so much on your training the AF might decided you are needed.