Thursday, April 15, 2010

Afghanistan Abroad

I have moved to a little outpost near Kandahar for a few weeks. We rotate one medevac crew through every few weeks. It's called FOB Ramrod and it's great. There is no poo pond. That by itself would be enough, but it gets even better. The food is better. The ribs are an 8 out of 10 and they have free packets of beef jerky and mango ice cream bars. We have no supervision so we can do whatever we want, like walk around without a hat, and drive the tractor without a hard-hat and pee on the aircraft. Don't tell! We have a fridge and an excersice machine and a projector and a pit for bonfires. This is the most fun I have had deployed since painting flames on a humvee. We get one or two missions a day and we are the only crew here so we have to stay pretty sharp. So I sleep alot and work on homework and play games with the chase crew and the aid station medics that like to hang out with us in their off time. Yesterday I watched Avatar, started a fire with sticks, played Turbo Crainium, and picked up an Afghan Army dude that got shot and slept all afternoon. I will be sad to eventually have to leave here. I almost forgot, the toilet stalls all have a sign in them that says "NO STANDING UP WHILE POOPING! BY ORDER OF FIRST SERGEANT MILLER." I don't know why I would ever try that but apparantly someone did enough times to merit hanging laminated signs in every stall. (Sigh.) I love it here.

5 comments:

Jenny said...

Mango ice cream sounds fabulous. How come you're only going to be there a few weeks?

Laci J said...

WOW, sounds like a little bit of Heaven in Hell. R & I have a question for ya, how did you get your movies? And can you get more? We LOVE our 500 gb drive that provides hours of endless entertainment and want to know how we can get more.

Dave said...

It came from a massive acumulation of shared pirated videos that were on a server in afghanistan. You will just have to visit us to get more of them.

Unknown said...

Don't pee on the aircraft. I raised you better.

deerhollow said...

What an adventurous life you lead!
Be safe.