Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Kindergarden

I signed myself and my dog up for puppy kindergarden at Petsmart. Our first day went really good. The other dogs in the class were big breeds too, so I didn't have to worry about Sully injurying anyone elses dog. However, I did have to worry about him injuring someones child. One couple brought their toddler.

I dont know exactly how old he was, but he was just learning to walk and didn't pay any attention to what mom and dad said to him. My dog still greets people by planting both paws in their chest, so I had to keep a really short leash on him. The puppy that the family brought had no immunizations. They had picked him up from the pound a few days prior, so who knows what he might have been exposed to. Nobody could let their dogs off their leashes for fear they would injure the baby walking around, or contract some kind of disease. At one point the trainer must have said something to the family about not bringing the baby with them. They got all offended and made a scene about how they want to talk to a manager. The manager told them the same thing. After they left we had a great time.

Seriously. Who does that? The kid was the smallest one in the room! Morons. And then when someone told them, "hey dude, maybe letting a 20 pound baby loose with a half-dozen 30 pound hyper-active clumsy puppies is not the greatest idea you ever had", they act like they are being picked on.

Otherwise that class was great. Sully really likes the trainer and does whatever she says. It makes him look like a prodigy and makes me feel like an idiot because he hardly ever does what I say the first time I say it. But whatever. We went over all the not's first. Teaching not to bite, bark, jump on people, eat things they aren't supposed to, and crap in the house. Then we started the sit and "watch me". I never heard that one before but it's kinda cool. It's just to get and keep your dogs attention. It seems like it's too easy but it really isn't.

If anyone has or is getting a dog I really recommend the course, especially if you have a big dog. It costs about 100 bucks for 1 hour long sessions over 8 weeks. If your are not satisfied with the results, or think your dog needs to go through it again, you can take it again for free.

I know some of you are thinking, why spend a hundred bucks on something you can do at home for free? The biggest reason was that I am so busy that dog training is sporatic. Another reason is that every day Sully gains about a pound and we have no idea if he is ever going to stop growing. We want to get him in hand as soon as possible, and that includes not turning into a moron every time he see's another dog or person he doesn't know. Going to the class gave him the oppurtunity to get familiar with other dogs and people, and to be obedient even with distractions. So it's still a good deal.

Here he is now at 4.5 months and 45 pounds. Growing so fast!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW! Sully looks like a grown up dog already. He is very pretty and I agree that dog school is a good idea. I wonder if it's too late for Gabby? Haha. Probably. Good luck with all that and I can't wait to meet him.

About that other couple, welcome to the world of "we are obviously the only people in it and it revolvles around us".

Anonymous said...

Darn! I wish I'd known I could have taken all of you kids to obedience training for $100 bucks. And after 8 weeks if you still didn't mind and crapped in the house, you got another 8 weeks of training for free. what a deal!

Anonymous said...

That dog is freaking huge. That good that you're getting him trained right though, I wouldn't want to have to punch him in the throat for jumping on Savvy. Actually...I probably would enjoy that. But not Savvy's ensuing hysterics.

And yeah Mom, I think Gabby's permanently damaged.

Dave said...

Mom, Thanks. It might be too late for Gabby. But you never know.

Dad, what a good idea. I can't wait to try that. I can just imagine leading my kids around wearing choker chains and giving the leash a jerk when they don't listen. You have the best ideas!

Mike, another great idea. Once Sully pounces Savvy and she screams for an hour, I bet he'll never do it again.

Spitfire said...

Haha cooldad. Not. You guys kept us on leashes anyway-literally!

Dave and Valli-I think it's a good idea to do the dog training thing! I don't know that I would have thought of it.

the firths said...

after they teach him not to poop in the house, then does he get to learn how to attack people and rip their throats out?

lil Rebel Child♥ said...

hmmm...sounds like bad parenting...not you, the couple with the kid. Tough break. So tell me, did they bring there kid to the next class? Or did they get so mad that they stopped comeing?

Dave said...

they never came back.

Yay!