Tuesday, August 5, 2008

I Will Never Learn

I got a call on my radio today to get ready for an urgent mission. When I ran up to my room to grab my jacket, gun and drug bag, I discovered that I had locked myself out.
My door is a flimsy sheet of half-inch plywood hung on two hinges. It is secured on the outside by a hasp and a little masterlock. I checked my pant pockets again to be sure. Then I kicked in the door, grabbed my stuff, and went out to the aircraft. The mission was cancelled before it started on account of bad weather. I went back upstairs to fix my door. I wasn't at all perturbed because this is the fourth time I have had to kick my door down. After the last time I started keeping a hammer and nails in my room just for this purpose. It only takes a minute to bend the latch and hinges straight and nail them back on the door frame. My key was on my desk, right where I always leave it.

4 comments:

Valli said...

Am now realizing how fourtunate we are that this is not the method of choice on our home door in such circumstances.

Anonymous said...

You could try a combination lock. If you think you might forget the combo, you could tattoo it your wrist or something.

Dave said...

If I got a combination lock, I'd never be able to kick my door down. Duh.

Bryan & Bobbie said...

This brings back fond memories...