Thursday, July 24, 2008

R and R

I'm back!

My vacation was awesome. I can hardly describe how great it was to be back in Alaska for the last 20 days. I didnt get to do all the things I wanted, and I didnt get to see half the people I wanted, but still had such a wonderful time.

Before I left Bagram, and again in Kuwait, we were repeatedly warned that things will have changed while we've been gone. Expect things to be awkward for the first few days. These little pep talks were always at least an hour long and included a detailed list of activities that were prohibited. Ironicly, I always had the impression that they expected us to go out and do them all anyway. Such as- drinking and driving, going to jail, doing drugs, spousal abuse, murder, tackling and detaining american citizens of middle eastern ancestry. Personally I never had a desired to do any of these things. In fact, once I landed in Anchorage I didn't feel any akwardness at all. It was great.

I had such a good time. I could go on and on about all the fun stuff I got to do- but I won't. I will say that I got to eat great pizza and other wonderful foods, I went kayaking in Seward, 4-bying in Palmer, rafting in Denali, rollerbladed through the solar system, and hung out with some of the best people you would ever want to meet.

I'm not happy to be back in Afghanistan. But it's not so bad.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I'm first! Who loves you the most? Possibly your mommma, that's who!

What a great post! You didn' tell me you rafted, tho. I want a detailed update on that. I'm glad you are safe and sound to date and look forward to your future posts. We miss you tons. dipsnetting was quite the adventure. Maybe I'll get coolboy to post pics.

XXOO

Jenny said...

Dude. Sorry I missed you but YAY for going to the temple and seeing the rest of the fam.